Friday, July 31, 2009

I've Been Asleep for a Long, Long Time

When I was a kid, I was a pretty big Sesame Street fan. Two of my favourite clips that I remember even to this day showed regular people all over the world doing regular things. One was called "Everybody Sleeps" and another was called "Everybody Eats" and they had catchy little songs about how everyone sleeps and eats to go along with the clips.

I think that what young me liked most about these two clips was that it made me feel good inside to know that there are small things that tie us all together. It doesn't matter where you live, what colour you are or whether you're rich or poor, every person on the planet sleeps and eats. That's still what I like about these clips.

But even at that age, I had the unfortunate realization that not everyone was treated equally in society, even though we're all created equally and we're all one and the same. Everyone eats, but not everyone has access to food all of the time. Everyone sleeps, but not everyone has a comfy bed to sleep in.

Even though these clips were designed for a young audience, I think they have one of the most important lessons a person can learn in life embedded in them. We're all the same. We have many differences, whether it be physically, mentally, or of opinion. But regardless of those differences, when we look deep down, we are the same on many levels.

It's my wish that everyone could see those clips and maybe come to the same conclusion, and then we could eradicate our conflicts with each other. Wishful thinking.

These clips came to mind when I was on my way home from my shift at work on Sunday. I saw a man running down my street. For as long as I can remember, this man has ran past my house every day, rain or shine.

No matter how much my life has changed in the last few years for the better or the worse, whether it be by losing people close to me, trying to figure out what my role on this earth is or simply growing up, he's still ran past my house every day like clockwork. And maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit and familiarity but I find it pretty damn crazy that even as your life is changing before your eyes, some things never change.

I think in a lot of ways this running man also represents determination. I've seen him run in some nasty weather. But he keeps pushing on.

For anyone who is having trouble getting through their day or wondering where they can find hope, I think sometimes you need to look no further than the small, seemingly insignificant things that we often disregard or do not take time to observe.

You can find inspiration in even the smallest of things.

I've Been Asleep for a Long, Long Time - Hey Rosetta!

1 comment:

KJ McLean said...

I really enjoyed this post, and can certainly relate. I've never been a big fan of change, so I could really understand your embracing the consistency of the running man.

It's kind of the way I feel when the leaves finally come out on the trees in the spring.